Let’s talk about why the Murray River is so unique and why Murray River cruises are such a fun idea. For one, it’s the longest river in Australia. It’s 2.508 kilometres long, and it makes quite a journey from one side to the other. The Murray River rises in the Australian Alps and drains Australia’s highest mountains. After that it flows across the inland plains, creating the border the states of New South Wales and Victoria. Then the river makes its way to the northeast into South Australia where it turns south to Morgan. After the rivers southern turn into Morgan, it runs its final course of 315 kilometres into the ocean at Lake Alexandrina. I also want to mention that the Murray River is also one of the longest rivers in the world!
Something interesting about the Murray River is it flows through several terminal lakes that fluctuate in their saltiness. Decades ago they were all fresh water.
These are the principal settlements along the Murray River.
- Swan Hill
- Murray Bridge
River Life includes the following.
- Murray cod
- Trout cod
- Golden perch
- Macquarie perch
- Silver perch
- Eel-tailed catfish
- Australian smelt
- Western carp gudgeon
- Murray short-necked turtle
- Murray River crayfish
- Broad-clawed yabbies
- Large clawed Macrobrachium shrimp
- Long-neck turtles
- Common yabbies
- Small clawless paratya shrimp
- Water rats
- Platypus (How cute!)
The Murray River is part of one of the famous river systems. This system includes the Murray River and the Darling River. Together they create the Murray-Darling Basin. The basin is a large geographical area in the interior part of south-eastern Australia. The basin drains 1/7 of the Australian landmass, making it one of the most important agricultural regions in Australia.
Murray River Cruises are the Most Relaxing way to see the River
All you need is a driver’s license to and to be 18 years of age to drive a riverboat. To rent one, you must be at least 25 years of age. But remember, that under 25-year-old friends and family can drive during your holiday! Drinking and driving are not allowed, and the river is policed so always have a designated driver if you are drinking alcohol. You may be tempted to cruise the night Murray River but a night cruise is not allowed. You need to have our boat moored well before nightfall.
Besides the beauty of the river and the company of your guests, there is so much more to do. Whether you go upstream or downstream, you will be impressed with the beautiful scenery. Keep in mine going upstream takes twice as long as going downstream. You have all day to explore and then night time to sit back and enjoy or even sit in the spa if you get lucky and rent a houseboat with a spa on the deck. If you did not stop during daylight hours and have dinner, then you can enjoy a BBQ as well. I don’t know why relaxing on water is more relaxing than doing so on land, but it is, and sleeping too!
Experts say the Health Benefits of Being Near Water is Amazing
All living things thrive being near water. Water is a life source, and we as humans are made up of 60% water. Taking a day cruise may have more benefits than you think! Beyond the joy of taking nature in at it’s fullest. Here are some of the benefits the human body acquires while spending time around water.
- Being near the water means you are breathing fresh air. Air that is exposed to water is full of negative ions. These negative ions help your body absorb oxygen. The oxygen improves alertness, balances serotonin levels, which elevate mood and reduce stress.
- Water strengthens the immune system. The increased relaxation and stress has positive effects on your immune system helping you fight off disease. Relax and enjoy!
- Improved sleep. Nothing will relax the body and mind like water will including the sound of water so expect to sleep deeply and feel rejuvenated in the morning.
- If you spend enough time around water, it will increase your white blood cell count. All those plants and trees you see living near the water give off chemicals called phytoncides. When you breathe these chemicals in the air, they act as a natural immune system builder.
- Water makes you happier! Your mind can enter a meditative state while exposed to water. This state floods your brain with dopamine, the feel-good hormones.
How and Where to Rent a Riverboat- With Foxtale Houseboats of Course!
Welcome to Foxtale Houseboats, the pet-friendly fleet! We look forward to welcoming you aboard to any one of our four houseboats. The boarding site is Morgan, a serene, peaceful part of the Murray River in South Australia. Morgan and its surrounding areas offer beautiful Murray cliffs and lots of exciting wildlife. Take your friends and family and enjoy all the spectacular beauty that the Murray River has to offer. Come and see us and let us share with you our little secret about the best part of the river. We have specials from time to time to be sure and ask when you call. We have a spring special for sure!
Our fleet consists of four houseboats, and you can be secure with us, we have been in business for 20 years. Here are the basics each houseboat provides but please see the “Fleet” section of our website all the amenities each one offers, and they offer a lot, one even has a spa! We provide you with all the comforts of home.
- Foxtale 1 Houseboat- Four bedrooms, two fold out sofas, two bathrooms, and three toilets.
- Foxtale 3 Houseboat- Five bedrooms, and two bathrooms.
- Foxtale 4 Houseboat- Spa, two bedrooms, three baths, one foldout sofa.
- Murray Entertainer- Five bedrooms, and five bathrooms
Here are some things you might be wondering about as well
- Yes, Morgan is protected by the fruit fly quarantine zone.
- Yes, all of our houseboats are insured.
- No, you do not need a boat license to drive but to hire a houseboat, you must be 25 years of age with a valid car driver’s license. To operate a vessel, you must be 18 years of age and have a valid car driver’s license. We will give you tuition of about an hour on driving our houseboats and mooring them.
- No, night travel is not permitted. You should be moored well before sunset. We will advise you of sunset times during your tuition or “showout” as we call it.
- Yes, shore excursions are available; ask us about what is available for you. Things to do are depending on how far you go down or up the river. Some provide coach transfers to and from the boat.
- All fuel is paid for at the end of your hire. Yes, you will need to pay a bond.
- Disembarking time is strictly 10 am.
- Arrival time is 3 pm, and cruises depart around 3 pm.
- For a list of what we provide and suggest you bring, please see website FAQ’s section.
- Smoking is not allowed inside the houseboat, only on the outside deck. We add additional cleaning charges if you break this rule.
There are businesses along the river with specially made parking areas for houseboats. This way you can go to a pub for drinks and food, do some grocery shopping, or arrange a black tie dinner. Just ask us, and we will tell you about all your options and how to get there. We don’t recommend weekend hires because by the time you find a nice cosy place to moor and do some exploring it will be time to return and do all your unpacking. Week long excursions are the best to fully enjoy what the Murray and our houseboats have to offer.